How to wipe your hard drive?
Is “deleting” and “wiping” your hard drive the same thing?
Many of us live under the confusion that “deleting” or “formatting” all data from your hard drive is same as “wiping” your hard drive. However, this is not the case since wiping a hard drive requires a little more effort with the purpose that the wiped of data can never be retrieved.
“Formatting” or “Deleting” any part of your hard drive, essentially hides your data that can be restored using any compatible recovery software but if you intend to vanish your private data forever for good then you must wipe off your hard drive following a specific procedure with a specialized software.
How long does it take to wipe off your hard drive?
The time taken to wipe of a hard drive can vary from several minutes to hours depending upon two factors:
- The size of the data stored on the hard drive
- The type of software you use to wipe off the data
What is the easiest procedure to wipe off a hard drive?
Although there are several ways that you can adopt to wipe off your hard drive however, the most convenient method is by using the data destruction software which not only erases your data but ensures that the hard drive can be used again.
If you are ready to say goodbye to your private information forever, then simply follow the steps below:
- First you should decide if you want to create a back up of any of the files from your data since after wiping off your hard drive, your data is non-retrievable.
- Next you must download any free data destruction software. (the most famously used wiping software is DBAN)
- Once you have downloaded the software, follow the prompts given to install the wiping software. If you have downloaded a bootable software such as DBAN, you must burn the ISO picture on a CD, DVD or an external data cable
- Once you have installed the software, follow the instructions given by the software to wipe off your hard drive
- The moment wiping process has been completed, you can sleep in peace that all your data has been removed forever and can never be retrieved.
When wiping process has successfully been done, you can now download new Windows on your hard drive, reuse the hard drive or maybe even sell it.